-- Weather has cooled off for couple days with windy conditions and today a storm is passing through..
The forecast however looks like a nice Friday into Monday..
- There are very few reports coming in as many anglers have hung up their fishing gear with Hunting seasons here..
Most of the reports are from Crappie anglers..
Surprisingly, with Fall Trout season into 2nd week, we have not heard much on catches..?
- We have noticed more color on the leaves this week making for a Wonderful time to be outdoors and a good chance to see eagles.
- One fall pesky thing happening now is the leaves and stuff on the water that gets on your line..
We learned a good trick several years ago while trolling, it was to keep your rod tip underwater so the stuff does not get on your line..
With cooling waters temps, baitfish are moving to the mouth of coves.
With that, you will find fish in these areas too.!
- Check our Fall tips on Home page and/or our Fall Fishing Season article.
- Be Safe & Get out to ENJOY the Fall & some GOOD FISHING..!
- BE AWARE that some lakes have been drawn down for the winter..!
* Use Caution at the launches..
** NOTE -- With waterfowl hunting seasons in for Central Zone,
some lakes are CLOSED or Partially CLOSED to fishing.
-- Check below in reports for the Closure dates, with more info adding as provided to us..
-- Other Lakes not mentioned in reports below that will have Closures are:
- Rice Lake is CLOSED to fishing and will Re-Open at end of Duck & Goose season..
For State site Closures or partial Closures due to weather or hunting seasons,
IDNR Closures page for full list & more info as they update it.
* You should contact the lake or site directly for Closure updates and/or winter hours before going.
- - Notes Of Interest : -
Looking for a Boat, Trolling motor or Fishing Gear & more..
- Fall Trout Season is under way at 53 ponds, lakes and streams.
For more info & stocked locations, Check HERE
* Remember all anglers must have a valid fishing license and an Inland Trout Stamp unless exempt.
- For list of ADA accessible Fishing sites
Check IDNR Places To Fish page for locations.
- For Bank Fishing Opportunities in Illinois that are easily accessible,
visit IDNR Bank Fishing page
NOTE: No person born on or after January 1, 1998,
unless exempted by subsection (i),
shall operate a motorboat with over 10 horse power unless that person has a valid
Boating Safety Certificate issued by
the Dept of Natural Resources or an entity or organization recognized & approved by the Dept.
Non-motorized watercraft, including canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, or sail boards in Illinois,
are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois, unless the vessels have a motor or sail.
Non-motorized watercraft owners are required to purchase an Illinois Water Usage Stamp for each calendar year..
* The 2016 Illinois Fishing Information guide is available online
at IDNR website
* We have listed a few in our area that we have found in the reports below, but you still need to check and read the signs posted at lakes to be sure..
- The U.S. Coast Guard has a Free boating safety app designed to provide additional resources for mobile users.
Watch USCG app features video with download info & more
- Check our sponsors on the right for your baits, tackle, guide options and more.
Visit their website links on the right.. ----------------------------------------------> >
Check our FOR SALE - Classified ADS page.
- ILLINOIS RIVER
- - Near STARVED ROCK and South downstream: to Near HENRY :
- Early in week the River was nearing normal levels but these recent rains are projected
to rise it maybe 2 feet by end of week..?
- Catfish were FAIR over weekend near wash-outs or holes along channel or bridges.
- Sauger were FAIR-SLOW near channel edge on trolled crankbaits or pulling minnows on 3-ways and jig/minnows.
- WhiteBass were somewhat FAIR on jig and minnows or flashy baits near mouth of streams
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up an Awesome fishing trip (we highly recommend),
check Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
- Here is latest Report from Tom:
The Norfork Lake fall bite continues from Cranfield to North of the state line. The water is the coldest above Calamity Beach up to Udall.
Stripers are surfacing and feeding on shad both early morning and evening from Calamity Beach to Udall.
Walleye are also being caught using crankbaits on the points from the state line to Udall.
I continue to fish in waters that range from 20 to 30 foot off the channel, the stripers seem to feeding on the flats.
The biggest drawback on fishing north is the intense fog that seems to gather up there each morning.
The bite is very slow while the fog last with the foggy days being my worst days for landing a limit of stripers.
Stripers, whites, bass, & hybrids are schooled on the flats beginning about a 1 3/4 miles Cranfield Island.
Stay in the channel and you will go up about a 1 mile and lake makes a wide left turn left then go up another 3/4 mile and it turns right.
The cove on the left past the turn is a big flat and you should find the fish feeding in water less than 40 feet.
A past client called and was visiting and wanted to go striper fishing. So, we set the time and they asked if their dog Max could come along.
Since I have hunting dogs that are always with me I said sure. We made the long ride and hit fog which slowed us down but was not to bad that day.
We started fishing and hooked right away, it is always funny when a dog sees a fish jump away from the boat. Most just want to lick the fish,
and that was Max. All he wanted to do was lick the stripes.
The stripers are off the channel and feeding on the flats. I have seen some of the big schools of the year up there
and when you hit them the bait goes wild and you usually get multiple hits. We ended up missing our limit by 1 but sure had a great time with Dale, Debbie, & Max.
The fall bite has started so make your plans on the web with www.FishNorfork.com for everything Norfork Lake!
Be sure to read our Fall Striper tactics, the article can be found on the NorforkLakeChamber.com website.
- Tom Reynolds has fished Lake Norfork for over 35 years and guides out of Tracy Ferry Marina;
you can reach him at www.stroutfitters.com or 870-421-1541 or on Facebook
** Reading these Norfork reports it is hard to know the time and work involved to get & keep bait to be able to catch these awesome fish,
but We can verify the time and how much work it is for a live bait fishing guide as we spent 2 days with Tom from start to finish of day to understand "A day as a Guide" and all the time and work involved.
Read our full STORY HERE
ANDERSON LAKE - Site Office 309-759-4484
- - THIS AREA is CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING in Main Lake
through Dec. 20th during waterfowl season with bank fishing Only allowed.
ARGYLE LAKE - In Argyle State Park SW of Macomb off US 136 309-776-3422
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake for those with motors over 10hp.
- No Reports from here, but:
* * This is one of the sites stocked for Fall Trout Fishing Season
That is underway right now.!
BANNER MARSH - 3 access points on Routes 24/9 3 mi. NE of Banner, with a 25HP limit. (309-647-9184)
** THIS AREA is CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING --
AND BANK FISHING ONLY ALLOWED AFTER 1PM but NO FISHING ALLOWED in EAST POINT ACCESS AREA,
which is CLOSED TO ALL FISHING to provide a GOOSE REFUGE AREA during season till Feb. 1st - -
DAWSON LAKE - East of Bloomington Exit #149 on I-74, North through LeRoy 4-miles on CH21 then East at Moraine View State Park sign.
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake for those with motors over 10hp.
- -Lake level was up some over weekend
- Bass were FAIR on plastics, spinnerbait and few on topwater.
- Bluegills were FAIR on wax worms along weeds and some timber
- Catfish were FAIR on dip bait & crawlers - try deeper areas of lake during day time
- Crappie were FAIR-SLOW mostly on minnows and some on jigs
DOUBLE T STATE FISH and WILDLIFE AREA (3 miles northwest of Canton)
* * THIS LAKE IS CLOSED TO FISHING for the Season till Feb. 1st --
EMIQUON PRESERVE - Between Havana and Dickson Mounds Museum on IL Route 78
For more info and details on Emiquon, go to http://experienceemiquon.com
* *NO Boating, Fishing or ice skating access before 12:00 pm during Waterfowl Hunting Season. Lake users should be aware that hunting might occur on the Preserve other times as well.
* New permits are required for boating and fishing each year - are free and
available at Dickson Mounds Museum, 10956 N Dickson Mounds Rd, Lewistown, IL from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Call The Nature Conservancy at (309) 547-2730.
- -Some of the site rules are: - No live bait except worms; - No bank fishing is allowed;
- No gas motors (not even on the boat) including ice augers.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older and authorized by the minor´s parent or legal guardian.
- Boating and fishing are permitted between sunrise and sunset with additional restrictions applying:
* *No boating, fishing or ice skating access before 12:00 pm during waterfowl hunting season. Lake users should be aware that hunting might occur on the Preserve other times as well.
- - Check their site for updated rules or go to Official Site RULES file.
EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
* This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake.
-- COMLARA PARK VISITOR CENTER (309)434-6770.
- BOAT RENTAL & BAIT SHOP are CLOSED FOR SEASON
-- Not Much Reported again for past week..?
- Bluegills were FAIR but small on wax worms along weed edges or shoreline timber.
- Crappie were FAIR on jigs and/or minnows around brush in 6 - 12 foot water
- Saugeye were little SLOW
- - A SOUTHERN PART OF EVERGREEN LAKE - AROUND DEER ISLAND and ALL OF SIX-MILE CREEK BAY IS CLOSED TO GAS MOTORS from Oct. 15th through JAN. 1st
to allow resting areas for migratory waterfowl. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO STILL RUN A TROLLING MOTOR IN THESE AREAS ONLY.-
HEIDECKE LAKE -
* * THIS LAKE is CLOSED for Season..
HENNEPIN-HOPPER LAKES - 2 miles South of Hennepin off IL Route 26,
turn West on Road 810N and then next right.)
* * LAKES are CLOSED for the season..
For the new rules & Regs you can
LAKE BLOOMINGTON - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and East for 3 1/2-miles.
---This Lake does have a BOATING FEE and a 40hp limit and permit required.
-- Again, Not Much Reported from here for past week..?
- Bluegills were FAIR but small on waxies around seawall and docks
- Crappie are FAIR on jigs and/or minnows around brush in 8 - 14 foot
* AND Good News For bait: * Mike´s Minnow Bucket Bait Shop
2.7 miles west of I-39 in El Paso, IL on US 24
is OPEN for the season..!
LAKE EUREKA - This Lake is only 30 acres,
and is a good place for the family and kids, a lake where the whole shore line can be fished, there is a boat ramp
and ONLY trolling motor use is allowed and if boat has a Motor on it, you must have a City Motor Permit
but still May Not start it for any reason.! (Remember - No Minnows fishing Allowed)
- - No New Report this week
- Check with folks at Mike´s Minnow Bucket for latest reports they may have..
* For bait, Check * Mike´s Minnow Bucket Bait Shop
2.7 miles west of I-39 in El Paso, IL on US 24 ..!
LAKE SHELBYVILLE - Between Shelbyville and Sullivan -
LAKE INFO LINE (217) 774-2020 and LAKE PROJECT OFFICE (217) 774-3951.
- No word again on Bass this past week.?
- Catfish remain somewhat FAIR-GOOD on most baits along or off edges of flats.
- Crappie were FAIR with few in 4 - 8 foot water on minnows around brush or trees.
- Walleye/Sauger were SLOW-FAIR on drifted crawler, minnows and some on trolled crankbaits.
- WhiteBass still SLOW-FAIR on jig/twisters or minnows - just look for shad
** Be Aware: Many Campgrounds are CLOSED for the season, Call Lake Shelbyville Project Office
217-774-3951 to check before going.!
LAKE STOREY - North of US 34, 1 mile on US 150 at north edge of Galesburg.
- -This Lake is City owned and only allows trolling motors
-- The Lake has been drawn down for winter - USE CAUTION at ramp..!
McMASTER LAKE at - SNAKEDEN HOLLOW - - NW of Peoria, just 1 1/2 miles East of Victoria South off IL Route 167,
and there is a 10HP limit. 309-879-2607
** THIS AREA is CLOSED TO FISHING for the Season --
reopens to fishing after central zone goose season ends, typically on February 1st each year.
PRAIRIE LAKE in Jim Edgar/ Panther Creek State F&W Area -
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake for motors over 10hp
* Reminder of Partial Closures
during Waterfowl Season -
- Lake is CLOSED from Nov. 1st to Jan. 15th
to Fishing until after 12:01 PM
on Wednesday & Saturday.
** If you are looking for a Great new place to stay while fishing or hunting at JEPC Park,
We recommend you check Plattner´s Ghost Hollow Lodge only 5 miles from the park, by
calling 217-458-2526 or 217-971-5256 or Find Them on Facebook
Make Sure to Contact Them for Directions ! - Tell them Larry sent you..!
REND LAKE -
-- The lake is still up some but slowly dropping
- While planning to make a Fishing trip to Rend Lake,
make sure to look into a stay at the new Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club
- - Here is latest Fishing Report from US Army Corps who says:
- - "Please fish safely! Always buckle up your life jacket on the water! " And:
- Please use these
collection stations for recycling monofilament fishing line
provided at various locations around Lake.
For more info feel free to contact the Rend Lake Project Office at
11981 Rend City Road, Benton, IL 62812 or by phone at 618-724-2493.
SHABBONA LAKE -
- - This Lake has a 10-horsepower limit.
-- Water temps about 60 early this week and dropping
- Bass were FAIR along remaining weeds.
- Crappie were FAIR around cribs and brush piles
- Muskie were FAIR-SLOW but said to have picked up some
SPRING LAKE (South & North) - Just south of Pekin off Manito Blacktop, 5 miles northwest of Manito,
and there is a 25HP limit. (309-968-7135)
**THIS AREA is CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING in Waterfowl Hunting Area through Waterfowl Hunting Season
-- with BANK FISHING ALLOWED ONLY AFTER 1pm--
- AREAS THAT REMAIN OPEN TO BOATS ARE NORTH OF MAPLE ISLAND with ramp at north end at the Sky Ranch Road launch and IN PIKE HOLE with carry in boats --
and Shore Fishing is allowed in entire lake after 1pm in Hunting areas or at boat ramps all day..
- - - - SOME ILLINOIS POWER PLANT LAKES - - - -
BALDWIN LAKE - Just north of Baldwin off Route 154. - site Office 618-785-2555
--- There is a 50hp motor limit
-- Hours April 16 - Oct 31: 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- No New Report this past week..
A SOUTHERN PORTION OF LAKE Is CLOSED During Waterfowl Season from Nov 1st till Feb. 1st
BRAIDWOOD LAKE -
** This Lake is CLOSED for the season
CLINTON LAKE - Three miles east of Clinton off Route 10 or 54 Ph 217/935-8722.
A PORTION OF LAKE FROM ABOUT IP POINT UP TO 54 BRIDGE IS CLOSED
- Guide Terry Davis tells us: Clients John & Gary had a
Awesome Crappie catching weekend with some really Nice fish.
There were periods of slow fishing but their best
fishing was over brush piles out in 10 foot of water
using pink & chartreuse slab busters and minnows
they got from Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle
* You may wish to contact Terry (Check below)
- No word on Bass except couple small fish caught by crappie anglers.
- Bluegills were just FAIR on wax worms and part crawlers near remaining weeds and laydowns
- Catfish remain FAIR-GOOD on cut shad and dip baits
- Crappie were Fairly GOOD on jigs and minnows around brush or timber (see photos)
- Walleye were FAIR-SLOW this past week jigging minnow or crawler
- Terry N. and fishing buddy early on Sunday
caught their limit of crappie in couple hours !
Best on minnows in 3-5 foot water near brush
Many over 11 inches with a few throw backs.
- Check with Joe of Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle for latest reports
and ALL your fishing needs (Including Fishing Licenses)- now Open 7 days a week 5 - 5.
* Ol´ Joe says the Bait Shop is FOR SALE as well as the Building next door,
just give him a call at 217-935-6244 if interested..!
REMEMBER an easterly area of Clinton Lake (The Waterfowl Refuge Area) between the DeWitt Bridge East (CH14) and the Rt. 48 Bridge
is CLOSED and will re-open on MARCH 31st...
AND Mascoutin campground/day-use/boat ramp will be CLOSED October 28 - 29, 2106 for the Annual Youth Pheasant Hunt and November 7 - 12, 2016 for the Annual Disabled Shotgun Deer Hunt.
As of Oct. 17th - The dock at West Side boat access was still Closed pending repairs.
-- Contact Terry of Feel the Thump Guide Service, at 309-212-6817 to book Crappie fishing trip
on Clinton Lake or email Terry Davis email@example.com * Tell him Larry told you
-- Keep in mind to Contact Matt Lamb of Clinton Lake Catfish Guide Service to book Catfish catching trips for next year
with night or day trips available on Weekends. Call 217-855-8406 or FB- https://www.facebook.com/Clintonlakecatfishguideservice
* Tell him Larry told you to call..
* Places to stay while at Clinton Lake are - the Holiday Inn Express hotel,
the newest hotel in Le Roy, IL
AND - Days Inn in Le Roy, IL both Just off I-74 between Bloomington and Champaign,
only 17 minutes from Clinton Lake. Make your reservations today (309) 962-4439 or (309) 962-4700
COFFEEN LAKE - Southeast of Hillsboro off Rt 127 or south of Coffeen off Rt 185,
site office 217-537-3351.
-- There is a 25hp motor limit.
* During the Central Zone waterfowl season: No fishing north of the railroad tracks (upper pool) until after 1pm daily: Oct. 22nd
through Jan. 31st
LAKE SPRINGFIELD - At Springfield off I-55 Exit 94 and go the east.
- No news on Bass this week.?
- Catfish were FAIR on cut baits, crawlers with some on dip baits
- Crappie remain GOOD on minnow and/or jigs (see below)
- Trevor tells us WhiteBass are FAIR-GOOD on KRAZY BLADES and jigs/twisters.
- Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle
posted another photo of Nice Crappie
caught this week by Randy..
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for your bait and current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield 62703 just a mile west from the lake dam.
You can call them at (217) 679-1800
** While there, Check out his New baits and the KRAZY BLADES
- One of the best White Bass, Walleye and Crappie Lures made ..! BigRedsBait.com
LaSALLE LAKE -
** This Lake is CLOSED for the season
POWERTON LAKE - One mile south of Pekin off Route 29 along Manito Blacktop.
---- site Office 309-968-7135
- - THIS LAKE is CLOSED TO All FISHING
and REOPENS TO SHORE FISHING ONLY ON DEC. 19th
- - And NO BOAT FISHING till FEB. 15th - -
SANGCHRIS LAKE - South of Springfield off I-55 Exit 82 - go east on Route 104 about 10 miles.
-- Lake has a 25HP limit, Lake site office # 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Red´s Bait and Tackle for current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield on your way to lake..
- Bass have been somewhat FAIR on plastic, swimbaits and crankbaits along edges
- Crappie remain FAIR-GOOD on jigs and/or minnows around brush
* * THE WEST and EAST ARMS OF LAKE and Small AREA NEAR DAM are CLOSED DURING WATERFOWL SEASON to boat traffic
effective Oct. 12th through Jan. 31, 2016
(during this time fishing boat traffic is permitted in the center hot arm only).
- LINKS or Other Lake Reports outside Central Illinois. -
- For Chicago area and southern to central Wisconsin Fishing Reports check out the
Chicago Sun-Times Outdoors section by Dale Bowman
- MARK TWAIN LAKE in Missouri
---Check Out The Fishing Reports from the Good people at South Fork Resort
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up a fishing trip (we would recommend),
check STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
--- View STR Outfitters Facebook page click here
for real time up to date each day or read Tom´s fishing blog here at http://stroutfitters.blogspot.com
If you are thinking of Fishing or Hunting this year
Check the Reports & specials from Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters
- Read about our Outdoor Writers/Broadcasters Visit at
[ HOME ]