This upcoming weekend Nov. 20-22, 2015 is the Illinois Firearm Deer Season
when all hunters and trappers are required to wear a blaze orange cap
and upper outer garment while they are in the field during this time.
Even though we (fishermen or land owners) may not be required by law to wear blaze orange,
it is a Good idea to do so if you will be out in the woods and fields.
Blaze orange is a STOP sign that will keep someone from shooting in your direction.
NOTE: Beginning on January 1, 2016, No person born on or after January 1, 1998,
unless exempted by subsection (i),
shall operate a motorboat with over 10 horse power unless that person has a valid
Boating Safety Certificate issued by
the Dept of Natural Resources or an entity or organization recognized and approved by the Dept.
- The IDNR Division of Fisheries has NEW regulations Now in effect for
the harvest of Flathead Catfish due to concerns about the overharvest of this large fish species.
Read the Press Release and Full Details HERE
* The New 2015-2016 Illinois Fishing Information guide is available in PDF format
on the IDNR website where
you can read or print you a copy.
- Check our sponsors on the right for your baits, tackle, guide options and more.
Visit their website links on the right.. ----------------------------------------------> >
- ILLINOIS RIVER
- - Near STARVED ROCK and South downstream: to Near HENRY :
- River levels on the rise due to recent heavy rains.
With that, there were No New Reports or updates for this week..
-- Dale Bowman reported today in the Chicago Sun-Times (in part):
"Finally some better perch reports start to come in "
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up an Awesome fishing trip (we highly recommend),
check Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
- Here is latest Report from Tom :
The Norfork Lake stripers are still not behaving like its fall. Sure they are being caught in the mid-lake and upper lake areas,
but not in the numbers like we sure see. This has been the warmest fall I can remember, the water temperature is still in the 60s,
it should be in the mid to high 50s. If you are looking for stripers try the Blue Lady area in the 50 foot range also they should be in both Float
and Panther Creek. Again stay in the 40 to 50 foot range. I jump back and forth between in the depths until I can find stripers consistently.
In the upper lake area the stripers can be found off the old river channel in 22 to 28 foot of water,
stay off the channel I have not caught any fish in the channel. Look for the bait.
You will see bait balls 15 to 25 feet thick, stay close and you will find stripers.
I picked up Tom, Bruce, & Tim who was staying at Three Oaks Resort for a scheduled six hour striper trip.
We had heavy fog that morning but I always run my GPS with tracking so I just follow my previous line and we had no problem getting up to point 10.
I told them that the bite has been slow for the first hour, but not that day. I put down the rods and we had 2 stripers in 5 minutes.
The bite stayed strong all morning and we had our limit of 9 in a little over 3 hours. The stripers are staying in the area because of all the bait.
If you want to catch fall stripers now is the time to get on the water before the cold weather comes.
For you out of area folks, you might want to get your calendars out and start making plans now. Fall here and it’s a wonderful time to be on the lake.
The stripers will begin their fall feed along with the other predator species, and the fall colors are beautiful.
A good tool to use to make your plans with is on the web at www.FishNorfork.com for everything Norfork Lake!
By the way, did you know Norfork Lake offers thousands of acres of huntable land to the public?
- Tom Reynolds has fished Lake Norfork for over 36 years and guides out of Tracy Ferry Marina;
you can reach him at www.stroutfitters.com or 870-421-1541 or on Facebook.
** Reading these Norfork reports it is hard to know the time and work involved to get & keep bait to be able to catch these awesome fish,
but We can verify the time and how much work it is for a live bait fishing guide as we spent 2 days with Tom from start to finish of day to understand "A day as a Guide" and all the time and work involved.
Read our full STORY HERE
ANDERSON LAKE - Site Office 309-759-4484
- - THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING in Main Lake
through Dec. 22nd during waterfowl season with bank fishing Only allowed.
BANNER MARSH - 3 access points on Routes 24/9 3 mi. NE of Banner, with a 25HP limit. (309-647-9184)
** THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING --
AND BANK FISHING ONLY ALLOWED AFTER 1PM but NO FISHING ALLOWED in EAST POINT ACCESS AREA,
which is CLOSED TO ALL FISHING to provide a GOOSE REFUGE AREA during season till Feb. 1st - -
DOUBLE T STATE FISH and WILDLIFE AREA (3 miles northwest of Canton)
* * THIS LAKE IS CLOSED TO FISHING for the season and remains Closed till February 1st --
EMIQUON PRESERVE - Between Havana and Dickson Mounds Museum on IL Route 78
For more info and details on Emiquon, go to http://experienceemiquon.com
No boating, fishing or ice skating access before 12:00 pm during waterfowl hunting season.
Lake users should be aware that hunting might occur on the Preserve other times as well.
* Additional : With the shutdown of Dickson Mounds Museum at this time, fishing and boating permits will be done at the launch, Call (309) 547-2730.
EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
* This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake.
BAIT SHOP and BOAT RENTAL IS CLOSED FOR SEASON
- Bass were FAIR-SLOW if you can find the schools of shad.
- Crappie were FAIR around brush on jigs and/or minnows.
- Saugeye are little SLOW
- - A SOUTHERN PART OF EVERGREEN LAKE - AROUND DEER ISLAND and ALL OF SIX-MILE CREEK BAY IS CLOSED TO GAS MOTORS from Oct. 15th through JAN. 1st
to allow resting areas for migratory waterfowl. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO STILL RUN A TROLLING MOTOR IN THESE AREAS ONLY.-
- - Also, the ENTIRE lake and park, with the exception of campground Sites 1-33, is CLOSED to general use Nov. 20-22nd and Dec. 3-6th
for the Firearm Deer Management Program. ONLY VALID SPECIAL HUNT PERMIT HOLDERS AND PARK STAFF WILL BE ALLOWED INTO HUNTING AREAS. Violators are subject to a Class B Misdemeanor arrest.
* However, fishermen are allowed to fish at Campground Cove, Jone´s Pond, and at the Pumphouse.
HEIDECKE LAKE -
* Lake is CLOSED to Fishing for the season till April 1st, 2016 --
HENNEPIN-HOPPER LAKES - 2 miles South of Hennepin off IL Route 26, turn West on Road 810N and then next right.)
* * Lakes are CLOSED for the season..
And will Re-open to fishing in 2016.
There are several new rules & Regs for next season you need to
LAKE SHELBYVILLE - Between Shelbyville and Sullivan -
LAKE INFO LINE (217) 774-2020 and LAKE PROJECT OFFICE (217) 774-3951.
- Here is report from Guide Steve Welch on Nov. 16th :
" The wind has torn up the lake these past few days and the water temps
have fallen to 51 on the north end and 55 on the south. We are still
catching plenty of crappie on both ends of the lake. The south end is so
full of 9 1/2 inch fish you need to catch about ten before you get a
good one. The fish catching on the south end is unbelievable by days end
you will have over 100 in the boat.
We are concentrating more on the north end since you can catch bigger fish.
I even saw a 14-inch big white crappie this past week so they do exist.
The action on the north end is slower than the south end but at the end of the day
you have bigger fish.
I am using my 3/16oz. Deep Ledge Jig black with a chartreuse Bobby Garland
or a white jig with a clear or light blue Wally Marshall Shadpole.
On the south end I am using my lighter 3/32oz. jig and jig it
up and down about three-feet to get a reaction strike.
The bigger crappie will start to show up these next couple weeks as the water cools.
This week is bringing rain and overcast so the north end shallow fish is where you need to be.
We are catching them about 10 feet down in brush and on ends of down trees.
November is full but I still have the first half of December wide
open and each year I have guided my biggest fish of the year has come in
December. We bring along a propane heater for your hands so it isn´t that cold.
- Heather Hurley and Tony Rendina
holding up a few of their catch.
McMASTER LAKE at - SNAKEDEN HOLLOW - - NW of Peoria, just 1 1/2 miles East of Victoria South off IL Route 167,
and there is a 10HP limit. 309-879-2607
** THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO FISHING for the Season till Feb. 1st--
PRAIRIE LAKE in Jim Edgar/ Panther Creek State F&W Area -
-- This is a " No Wake " Lake for motors over 10hp
- No New Reports
* Reminder of Partial Closures during Waterfowl Season
** If you are looking for a Great new place to stay while fishing or hunting at JEPC Park,
We recommend you check Plattner´s Ghost Hollow Lodge only 5 miles from the park, by
calling 217-458-2526 or 217-971-5256 or Click their logo on bottom right Sponsors section of this page
to Find Them on Facebook
Make Sure to Contact Them for Directions ! - Tell them Larry sent you..!
REND LAKE -
- Ric Barth says Crappie were Fairly GOOD early in weekend on minnows with a few on jigs and around brush along breaks.
- Check with Todd Gessner Outdoors Guide Service on Rend Lake at 618-513-0520 for future fishing trips
and make sure to look into a stay at the new Gun Creek Fin, Fur & Feathers Sportsmens Club
- - Read the latest Fishing Report from US Army Corps who says
"Please fish safely! Always buckle up your life jacket on the water! " And
- Please use these
collection stations for recycling monofilament fishing line
provided at various locations around Lake.
For more info feel free to contact the Rend Lake Project Office at
11981 Rend City Road, Benton, IL 62812 or by phone at 618-724-2493.
SHABBONA LAKE -
- - This Lake has a 10-horsepower limit.
-- Water temps on Sunday were in high 40s - 50
- Crappie are just FAIR and little scattered over weekend with about half keepers mostly on minnows.
-- Nov. 2nd, 935 Walleye (5-7 inch) were stocked into lake from donation made at Lakeside..
SPRING LAKE (South & North) - Just south of Pekin off Manito Blacktop, 5 miles northwest of Manito,
and there is a 25HP limit. (309-968-7135)
**THIS AREA IS CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING in Hunting Area
-- with BANK FISHING ALLOWED ONLY AFTER 1pm--
- AREAS THAT REMAIN OPEN TO BOATS ARE NORTH OF MAPLE ISLAND with ramp at north end at the Sky Ranch Road launch
and IN PIKE HOLE with carry in boats --
- - - - SOME ILLINOIS POWER PLANT LAKES - - - -
BRAIDWOOD LAKE -
* * This Lake is CLOSED for the season..
CLINTON LAKE - Three miles east of Clinton off Route 10 or 54 Ph 217/935-8722.
A PORTION OF LAKE FROM ABOUT IP POINT UP TO 54 BRIDGE IS CLOSED
- Bass were FAIR and little scattered in 4 - 8 foot on white spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and rat-l-traps
or on jigs at 12-14 foot in rocks.
- Crappie were FAIR with half keepers on jigs and minnows
- Check with Joe of Ol´ Joe´s Bait and Tackle for latest reports
and ALL your fishing needs
REMEMBER an easterly area of Clinton Lake between the DeWitt (CH14) and the 48 bridges
is CLOSED FROM OCT. 10th through MARCH 31st to protect fish and wildlife...
COFFEEN LAKE - Southeast of Hillsboro off Rt 127 or south of Coffeen off Rt 185,
site office 217-537-3351.
-- There is a 25hp motor limit.
* During the Central Zone waterfowl season: No fishing north of the railroad tracks (upper pool) until after 1pm daily.
AND - The Entire site/ Lake will be CLOSED to fishing & all activities during the first and second deer firearms seasons
Nov. 20-22nd and Dec. 3-6th.
LAKE SPRINGFIELD - At Springfield off I-55 Exit 94 and go the east.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Reds Bait and Tackle for your bait and current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield 62703 just a mile west from the lake dam.
You can call them at (217) 679-1800
** While there, Check out his panfish baits and the KRAZY BLADES for White Bass ..!
LaSALLE LAKE -
Lake is open with Daily Hours of 6 a.m. - sunset 7-days a week.
** LAKE is CLOSED for the season.
NEWTON LAKE - 16-17 miles southeast of Effingham off Route 33.
As written in the fishing regs booklet :** The cold arm of Newton Lake shall be Closed daily
from one-half hour before sunrise until 1:00 pm to all fishing and boat traffic except for legal waterfowl hunters
during waterfowl season commencing with regular duck season through the close of the Canada goose and regular duck season.
* For here - Regular South Waterfowl Season: Nov. 14 – Jan. 31
Also, the Entire lake is Closed to fishing during the two regular gun deer seasons, Nov. 20-22nd and Dec. 3-6th.
POWERTON LAKE - One mile south of Pekin off Route 29 along Manito Blacktop.
---- site Office 309-968-7135
- - THIS LAKE IS CLOSED TO BOAT FISHING and SHORE FISHING or ALL FISHING
and REOPENS TO SHORE FISHING ONLY ON DEC. 21st AND NO BOAT FISHING till FEB. 15th - -
SANGCHRIS LAKE - South of Springfield off I-55 Exit 82 - go east on Route 104 about 10 miles.
-- Lake has a 25HP limit, Lake site office # 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
-- Check with Trevor at Big Red´s Bait and Tackle for current reports
at 2193 Stevenson Drive in Springfield on your way to lake..
* * THE WEST and EAST ARMS OF LAKE and Small AREA NEAR DAM ARE CLOSED DURING WATERFOWL SEASON to boat traffic
through Jan. 31, 2016 (during this time fishing boat traffic is permitted in the center hot arm only).
And the Entire lake will be CLOSED Nov. 20-22nd and Dec. 3-6th due to firearm deer hunting
on adjacent properties.
The exception will be for hunting programs with restricted usage during this time period.
For more info, contact site office at 217/498-9208 from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- LINKS or Other Lake Reports outside Central Illinois. -
- For Chicago area and southern to central Wisconsin Fishing Reports check out the
Chicago Sun-Times Outdoors section by Dale Bowman
- MARK TWAIN LAKE in Missouri
---Check Out The Fishing Reports from the Good people at South Fork Resort
- NORFORK LAKE in Arkansas
For current reports or to set up a fishing trip (we would recommend),
check STR Outfitters at www.stroutfitters.com
--- View STR Outfitters Facebook page click here
for real time up to date each day or read Tom´s fishing blog here at http://stroutfitters.blogspot.com
If you are thinking of Fishing or Hunting this year
Check the Reports & specials from Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters
- Read about our Outdoor Writers/Broadcasters Visit at
[ HOME ]